Monday, July 30, 2012

Happy to have Happy

Our new recruit was the eagle eye that found it.

 July 30, 2012 - This one was a long time coming.  We were attempting to finish up the Snow White cache.  We still had Happy, Doc, and Sleepy to go.  Happy was very elusive for us.  We'd tried for Happy once before and spent close to an hour looking for him to no avail.  There were five sets of eyes, but no one could find him.  Needless to say, none of us were very---happy----about not finding Happy.  When two of your party of five start whining about going home and not looking any more you need to cut your losses and move on.  So we did.  Fast forward about two weeks.  I had this cache on my watchlist.  I had tried to email the owner about the cache to make sure that the big storm at the end of June didn't mess up the cache.  I never heard back from the CO so I put it on the watchlist.  FINALLY, yesterday, someone found it!  Of course, as with most cachers, the findee was lazy about his log.  He wrote Good hike, nice trail,
The hidden cache
Where we THOUGHT it probably was (or underneath all that)
TFTC.  No info whatsoever.  Thanks.   I like when people write something that helps me out just a little bit, like -- tricky hide or not exactly where the GZ coords are, something like that.  Oh well.  At least someone had finally found it.  I called my geocaching buddies to coordinate a new rescue mission.  They were up for it and so was I.  One of our group declined to go, but he's a teenager so I'm so not surprised.  Back to the same spot.  The GPS was still consistent in where it was leading us. The thing that threw us off the most was the fact that it was sending us to an area nearby that was just devastated by the storm.  Lots of trees down, leaves, branches, sticks, etc.  We thought that maybe the cache was in the tree and was now underneath all that mess.  The find by the fellow geocacher yesterday gave us the renewed hope we needed to give it another shot.  In the midst of us once again discussing where it could be--arguing about whether or not it could be up a tree, our eagle eyed friend was saying, "Excuse me, excuse me.  I think I may have found it."  Finally we all turned around and there he was, cache in hand, with Happy smiling like a Cheshire cat, and so was our buddy!  GREAT FIND!  So we can check that off our list of "can't find but we'll be back - CFBWBB"  Still have a couple more on that list, but Happy is not one of them!

The Lorax Gang and our new recruit celebrating the find.

No comments:

Post a Comment